Neurofeedback For Brain Injuries & Concussions
Along with a doctor’s care, neurofeedback can support the brain in healing and move someone closer to their original functioning pre-concussion.
When treating concussive symptoms, any good doctor will tell you that rest is a requirement for a recovery regimen. However, few know that neurofeedback training can also be helpful in supporting the brain to recover alongside a doctor’s care and plan. Right after a mild brain injury, doing neurofeedback can give the brain an opportunity to see where it needs to heal itself and continue in that vain.
Read Our Case Study On How Neurofeedback Supports Healing From A Concussion. Read more >
Hear from our clients that have trained with us at our clinics and who's been renting our neurofeedback home system
A Neurofeedback Training Co. client in NY talks about the benefits she's experienced from doing NeurOptimal® Neurofeedback training after suffering from a brain injury.
“Aside from rest, neurofeedback is quite possibly the only treatment that quickly facilitated recovery from a severe concussion I had six months ago. After the first four neurofeedback sessions I slept very deeply and felt noticeably better upon awakening. There was a very marked synchronicity in my sense perceptions and body movement when I walked onto the street after those first couple sessions. After about five sessions I started to feel noticeably better. My daily life started to resemble a more normal pattern of daily activities with even some artistic work in the evenings. I can now do things on the weekends without worrying that I might feel sick or have to sleep most of the day.”
– James, 5 NeurOptimal Neurofeedback Sessions
Research on TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) and Neurofeedback
Using the NeurOptimal® Neurofeedback System
A CASE STUDY …. Physical, Psychological and Cognitive Trauma with Recovery through NeurOptimal® Neurofeedback.
Personal case study with pre and post NeurOptimal® psychometric testing and SPECT Scan results.
Denise M. Cull, M.Psych, Forensic
The Use of NeurOptimal® With a Young Adult With an Acute TBI - A Case Study
This is a case study using clinical, NeurOptimal® baseline and anecdotal data. Dr. Lartin’s 22 year old son Brian survived a life-threatening TBI in April of 2012 and had more than 70 sessions of NeurOptimal® in a year. The contribution of NeurOptimal® to his recovery is discussed. Brian made an essentially complete recovery.
Dr. Joan-Marie Lartin, Ph.D., RN and Alan Bachers, Ph.D
NeuroCognitive Approaches to Brain Injury
Independent case studies focusing on the cognitive aspects of remediation when coupled with NeurOptimal®.
A trio of case studies, protocols and progress:
1. 24 year old boy with Concussive Syndrome
2. 68 year old woman with primary ischemic stroke
3. 30 month old girl with a rare chromosomal disorder;
Dr. Lise' D. Spurlock-DeLong, Ph.D., CPCRT, CCCM
Founder of Cognitive Connections, a cognitive rehabilitation clinic focusing on the use of neurofeedback and assistive therapies to promote increased neuroactivity and processing in all people.
Systemic EEG Biofeedback for Traumatic Brain Injury
Since NeurOptimal® helped ChemoBrain patients, will it also help people with TBI with similar symptoms?
Dr. Jean Alvarez, Ed.D
Director of research at the newly incorporated Cleveland-based Applied Brain Research Foundation of Ohio
From Our Blog
In these articles we explore the most common head injury symptoms and ways to recover from a concussion or brain injury
What Are The Top Traumatic Brain Injury Treatment Programs?
4 Tips to Recover from Brain Injury
What helps a concussion?
- Get sleep and refrain from cognitively and physically demanding activities. Darkness is also recommended if the TBI sufferer has sensitivity to light.
- Apply topical progesterone. Progesterone has been shown in studies on TBI treatment to have neuroprotective and neuroregenerative abilities and reduces inflammation. Some studies show the effects are improved if vitamin D is also taken.
- Take high quality krill oil or fish oil, high in DHEA and Omega 3s. The brain is 30% Omega 3 fat so when you supplement with high quality fish or krill oil you are giving the body the building blocks to repair the brain.
- Neurofeedback. He is a big proponent of neurofeedback equipment for peak performance but here he used the brain training for post-concussion to allow his brain to see it's damage and repair it. At our neurofeedback clinics the first symptoms we see improve from concussions are sleep problems, headaches and dizziness.
Do the effects of Neurofeedback Last?
How to get the best results from neurofeedback
Training with NeurOptimal® is actually a learning task. You get results because your brain is actively learning, even if you are not doing the learning consciously. So much like reading, once your brain knows how to read, it can’t “not know”. Your brain doesn’t forget. It may get rusty, but the effects of learning remain throughout your lifetime.
However, your brain is living tissue and you can— and will— get "knocked off" by stress, by chemicals, by alcohol, by an anesthetic, by the difficult daily lives we all seem to live. The wonderful thing is, a few booster sessions will get you back to where you were. A "neurofeedback trained brain" is quickly able to utilize the information NeurOptimal® is offering. It's as if the brain says "I know what to do with this!" and it goes through all the steps it went through in the weeks of initial training, but very rapidly. So you quickly get back into your good place.
If you are going through a more difficult time, you can quickly do a session or two at one of our neurofeedback clinics in NYC, Boulder or LA to recover your optimal flow and functioning. Our system is also available for rent per month.
Neurofeedback reorganizes the brain to operate more efficiently.
- Used by world class musicians, athletes and business leaders to achieve peak performance
- Used by thousands of people to bring more ease, joy and peace into their lives
- Helped thousands of children normalize their behavior and improve their academic performance
This video describes what will happen during your first NeurOptimal neurofeedback session, including how the technology works, what you might feel and the best way to train.
Neurofeedback Training Options & Costs
We offer both neurofeedback home unit rentals as well as sessions in NYC, LA and Boulder, Colorado at discounted rates.
Rent a Neurofeedback Home System
- Effective & long lasting. Same training as in-office visits
- Easy to use. We'll guide you through the process
- Save in overall cost (cost varies from $40/session and up)
- Great for families who want to train together
- We ship nationally